into HTML. Primarily it was meant for creating dynamic web pages. Developed by Rasmus Lerdorf, Php was launched in 1995. It was earlier known as Personal Home Page.
What are the advantages offered by this amazing Server Side Scripting Language?
- Php is an open source language which means it is free of cost. Also, it requires minimum maintenance.
- PHP frameworks help developers in building complex rich internet applications faster, with better functionality, less coding and thus save time. They are light in weight, reliable, extendable and secure.
- A variety of Php frameworks is available and one can choose depending upon his/her requirement. Most of the popular PHP frameworks follow the Model View Controller (MVC) coding pattern. The pattern has three layers like Model layer for database application, View layer for the implementation of the graphical user interface and Controller layer for business logic. Every layer can be worked independently of the others. This feature helps to make the whole process faster, smoother and less complex.
- PHP can be deployed on most web servers, many operating systems and platforms, and can be used with many relational database management systems (RDBMS). The latest version, PHP5 a fully object oriented language, helps to build large and complex web applications.
- PHP supports typed variables, arrays and even Perl-like associative arrays. These can all be passed from one web page to another using either GET or POST method forms.
- Php has awesome access logging capabilities and users can maintain their own hit counting and logging. It does not use the system’s central access log files in any way and it provides real-time access monitoring.
- The Log Viewer Script provides a quick summary of the accesses to a set of pages owned by an individual user. In addition to that, the package can be configured to generate footer on every page which shows access information.
- PHP supports a full-featured C-like scripting language.
- PHP has support for Thomas Boutell’s GD image library which makes it possible to generate GIF images on the fly.